Two weeks ago I wrote a blog post about SEO lies and misconceptions. As a follow up to that post, I recently visited WP Tavern’s WordPress Weekly podcast and chatted with Jeff Chandler and Marcus Couch.
We discuss a number of topics surrounding SEO including what’s changed in the past five years, the purpose of SEO plugins, common misconceptions about search engine optimization, and the amount of effort involved in obtaining real, long-term results.
As Jeff stated, I was on fire and slightly revved up. As you listen to the show you can certainly hear my passion for SEO and the fact that I believe SEO education is critical for success.
Topics We Discussed in the Show
- What matters in today’s SEO
- Problems and perceptions with SEO consultants
- WordPress plugins are an SEO tool and not actual SEO
- WordPress as an SEO friendly CMS
- Black hat SEO practices
- SEO best practices and processes
- SEO vs. PPC
- HTML vs XML sitemaps
- Google, Bing, and Yahoo
- Directories and if they matter
- Whether PageRank still matters
- Reputation management and what works
- The reality of DIY SEO
- The value of meta titles and meta descriptions
- Press release optimization dos and don’ts
- The dangers of out dated SEO information
- SEO experts to follow
Resources Discussed in the Show
- All in One SEO plugin
- Yoast SEO plugin
- My SEO Courses
- SEO Bootcamp
- Google Search Console
- Bing Webmaster Tools
I recorded two other podcasts this week and you’ll hear me on upcoming episodes of How I built It and StudioPress.fm. Both should be released in the next week or so.